Waterloo, Iowa Family Law Attorneys Fight for Fair Child and Spousal Support

Enforcing Iowa child support and alimony rules

The experienced family law attorneys at Gallagher, Langlas & Gallagher, P.C. understand the turbulent undercurrents in child support and spousal support disputes. Whether you are being shortchanged or taken to the cleaners, we stand up for your right to be treated fairly throughout the process. We have provided sound legal advice to residents of Waverly, Waterloo and the surrounding areas for more than 60 years, and we can help you navigate the family court system so you can get on with your life.

How is child support calculated in Iowa?

Parents in Iowa have a legal obligation to support their children until they either graduate from high school or reach age 19. The amount of a parent’s child support obligation is determined by applying the uniform child support guidelines prescribed by the Iowa Supreme Court to the family’s theoretical combined income. The stated purpose of the guidelines is to provide for the best interests of the children by recognizing the duty of both parents to provide adequate support for their children in proportion to their respective incomes.

Exceptions include providing for a child beyond age 19 who is physically or mentally disabled. Likewise, a court may deviate from the guidelines if an adjustment is necessary to provide for the needs of the children and to do justice to both parties under the special circumstances of individual cases. A knowledgeable attorney at a divorce law firm can help you understand if adjustments to the guidelines apply in your case.

How much spousal support can I get, or do I have to pay?

Receiving alimony is not an automatic right like child support. The court looks at each case individually to see if alimony should be awarded. Either spouse can request spousal support when filing for divorce. The amount of spousal support and whether support is needed at all depend on several factors, such as availability of resources, duration of the marriage, age, health and earning ability. There is no definite formula or minimum or maximum amount that can be awarded for spousal support in Iowa. Rather, each case turns on its specific circumstances.

Can I change a support order?

A Waterloo divorce lawyer can help you ask the court to modify a support order if there is a substantial change of circumstances. When determining whether a substantial change of circumstances has occurred, the court considers various factors, such as:

  • Changes in the employment, earning capacity, income or resources of a party
  • Receipt of an inheritance, pension or other gift
  • Changes in the medical expenses of a party
  • Changes in the number or needs of dependents of a party
  • Changes in the physical, mental or emotional health of a party
  • Changes in the residence of a party
  • Remarriage of a party
  • Possible support of the party by another person
  • Changes in the physical, mental or educational needs of a child
  • Contempt by a party of existing orders

Get dependable advice from compassionate attorneys

Gallagher, Langlas & Gallagher, P.C. provides dynamic legal representation for spouses in divorce. Serving the Waterloo and Waverly area for more than 60 years, we deliver reliable results with personal care tailored to your needs.