Standing up for injured workers and serving Waterloo & Waverly
In Iowa, almost all employers are required by law to carry workers’ compensation insurance to protect workers who are injured on the job. If you’ve suffered a workplace injury, our workers’ compensation attorneys at Gallagher, Langlas & Gallagher, P.C. partner with you in obtaining the benefits available to you under Iowa law. For more than 60 years, we have been successfully advocating for injured workers and aggressively yet professionally dealing with insurance agencies to protect the legal rights of our clients.
Common workplace injuries
Any injury that occurs at your workplace may be considered an injury that is covered by workers’ compensation. Examples of common injuries that are job-related include:
- Back injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Leg, knee and hip injuries
- Arm and shoulder injuries
- Stress injuries due to repetitive movement
- Injuries due to accumulated trauma
Which industries are most dangerous for workers?
According to a 2011 report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the top most dangerous jobs in America include:
- Farmers and ranchers (41.4 deaths per 100,000 workers)
- Roofers (32.4 deaths per 100,000 workers
- Truck drivers (21.8 deaths per 100,000 workers)
- Trash and recyclable collectors (29.8 deaths per 100,000 workers)
- Police and sheriff’s patrol officers (18 deaths per 100,000 workers)
- Aircraft pilots and flight engineers (70.6 deaths per 100,000 workers)
- Logging workers (91.9 deaths per 100,000 workers)
- Mining (19.9 deaths per 100,000 workers)
- Fishing (116 deaths per 100,000 workers)
What happens if the company fights my claim?
Insurance companies make a bigger profit when they have fewer claims to pay out, so a focus on the bottom line may cause some carriers to deny legally valid workplace injury claims. If your claim is denied by your company or your insurance carrier, you have a right to know why. Our workers’ compensation lawyers help you navigate the process by filing a contested-case proceeding before the Iowa Workers’ Compensation Commissioner.
Contact our Iowa workers’ compensation attorneys for a free consultation
If you’ve been injured at work and are facing a medical and financial crisis, Gallagher, Langlas & Gallagher, P.C. makes sure that you receive the benefits to which you are entitled by law.